Friday 20 May 2011

The Story of Moths


Moths never arouse in us the same feeling of happiness as butterflies do, do they? And why so? Because they are plain, and grey and brown, and do not look pretty. Right? Here is a story about moths that I read long back and has stayed with me ever since.

Moths are the most beautiful animals in the animal kingdom. At one time they were more colourful than the butterflies. They have always been helpful, kind, and generous creatures. One day the angels up in heaven were crying. They were sad because it was cloudy and they couldn’t look down upon the people on earth. Their tears fell down to the earth as rain. The sweet little moths hated to see everyone so sad. They decided to make a rainbow. The moths figured that if they asked their cousins, the butterflies, to help, they could all give up just a little bit of their colours and they could make a beautiful rainbow. 


One of the littlest moths flew to ask the queen of the butterflies for help. The butterflies were too vain and selfish to give up any of their colours for neither the people nor the angels. So, the moths decided to try to make the rainbow themselves. They beat their wings very hard and the powder on them formed little clouds that the winds smoothed over like glass. Unfortunately, the rainbow wasn’t big enough so the moths kept giving a little more and a little more until the rainbow stretched all the way across the sky. They had given away all their colour except brown, which didn’t fit into their beautiful rainbow.

Now the once colourful moths were plain and brown. The angels up in heaven saw the rainbow, and became joyous. They smiled and the warmth of their smiles shown down on the earth as sunshine. The warm sunshine made the people on earth happy and they smiled, too. Now every time it rains the baby moths, who still have their colours, spread them across the sky to make more rainbows.
 


There are many moths around us, who do there bit to make others’ lives colourful, and never ask for anything in return. We, on our part, hardly notice them, until the helpful presence is gone and the small things that made the days pleasant add up and show the magnamity of the work done.

The plainest among us have the brightest of colours inside, and there are many who give it away to those whose days are dark. Remember it the next time, show your appreciation. And do the same for people around you. Add a little bit of colour to the lives of those around you, and you will find your own suffused with multitudinal hues.Thanks for stopping by, and see you again!

p.s. I have nothing against butterflies! but this story just warms my heart :-)

15 comments:

  1. love the last para...

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful story. totally moved by it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was little busy in morning so just read the story.. didn't had time to comment..

    Hope you can read hindi:


    दिल को देखो चेहरा न देखो चहरे ने लाखो को लुटा दिल सच्चा और चेहरा झूठा

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed a thoughful and inspirational story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great story... for a 5 year old maybe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the ones who deserve a great story! :)

      Delete
  6. What a meaningful story. Let me retell it in my mother language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I'm expecting my own little one I've been looking everywhere for a storybook that my dad used to read to me. It had this story in it as well as a story about a town and who had the most beautiful hands, it was a kind of children's storybook of morals and I can't seem to find it searching the web. Do you remember where you read this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrea. Congratulations on your little one! I'm sorry, I don't remember which book. I think I came across it from one of my teachers.

      Delete
  8. I have been looking for this book forever, did anyone ever find it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. God allow me to come across this information because l have a friend God put in my and she die May 18 2020. I pray for Jesus to send her son a butterfly to confort but instead Jesus send me the moth. I found in the sink of one of the nursing home l work at around 5am l told two of my co-workers, he that was for you because no one else would have paid the moth any attention, l told her I found a moth butterfly and send him a picture and he told it mines to keep l also saw a yellow butterfly once l reached my but flow away l could not catch the yellow butterfly. I was wondering why Jesus gave me a moth butterfly until l read this story it brought joyto my heart because know what he is doing please visit Phyllis-marie-scruggs-plunkettforevermissed.com and read my tribute post by Steven her son and please his visit the video he made for his mother and may Jesus keep his joy with you all be blessed. If it ask for last name on the website it Scruggs

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend die on May 18 2020 l ask Jesus to send son a butterfly to comfort her son and Jesus sent me a moth l was wondering why he sent me the moth and Jesus lead me to this story which made me happy. Please her memorial at Phyllis-marie-scruggs-plunkett forevermissed.com read my tribute post by Steven and watch his video he made for his mother if the website ask for her last name is SCRUGGS God bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Locations of Site Visitors